Thursday, June 3, 2010

Camping

We love to go camping, it's the one activity we do faithfully every summer at least once or twice per month. Memorial Day is our first camping trip of the year and this year was a great success. I little cool, but we didn't get rained on, a first for every camping trip during the previous 3 years. We discovered a little campground just outside of Kanosh (near Fillmore) a couple of years ago and it has become one of our favorites. It's not a fancy campground, but it's close to a river, 4 wheeling trails a plenty, water and potties. My parents, Grandma and Grandpa Gary came with us and we had a great time. Going on 4 wheeler rides, playing cards and eating way to much good food are the general pastimes of all good camping trips.
This was also the first camping trip with our new dog Sadie. For the most part she was pretty good, but the first 4 wheeler ride we went on we tied her up and took off. According to the neighbors she howled the entire time (1 1/2 hours). So after that we had to devise a better way to care for the dog. I thought back to when by kids were little and how I kept them on the 4 wheelers with us, and remembered I would take a long sleeve button down shirt, but it around them and tie it behind by back to make a sling to help hold them on. So we tried that with the dog. Bless her heart if she didn't just sit there and let me tie her in and she sat on my lap while Mitchell drove her on her first ride. For the rest of the weekend she sat with one of the kids while I drove and some of those rides were a couple of hours long and kind of bumpy. She would sit between the driver and the passenger and peek her head around the driver to feel the wind in her face. I never could tell if she really liked it, but it was better than being left alone at camp. I'll have to devise a better way, a harness or duffel bag or something, but at least I know she won't panic and try to jump off the four wheeler.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Boy, Mom has the best camping hair ever! That's the #1 reason I can think of to go camping with Mom!!

Megan said...

hey, how are you?! thanks so much for seeing my blog so i have a way to communicate with you through yours. your family looks great and i'm so glad you had a great camping trip. miss work and all of you, having lots of fun, thanks for everything!